Apple & rhubarb crumbles
- 2 bunches rhubarb (about 525g), washed, trimmed and de-stringed, then cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 medium apple, any type, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pods star anise
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 3 tbs extra light margarine
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs almond meal
- ¼ tbs ground cinnamon
- Low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the rhubarb, apple, cinnamon, star anise, vanilla bean, sugar and 1 tbs of water in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Divide the stewed apple and rhubarb evenly between four 1-cup capacity ramekins.
Place the butter and half the oats in a food processor and process until the mixture is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Place in a bowl and mix in the rest of the oats, coconut, almond meal and cinnamon.
Spoon the crumble mix over the fruit and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with the yoghurt.