Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a water‐soluble vitamin that’s required from the diet on a regular basis to assist with important body functions. It has a number of benefits for a healthy body including:
- The maintenance of connective tissue – Vitamin C is essential for the formation of collagen, the major fibrous element of skin, blood vessels, bones, muscles and cartilage. It’s also involved in the synthesis of other important substances needed for healthy connective tissue including elastin and proteoglycans. Vitamin C is essential for wound healing and may assist with recovery from minor burns.
- Immune health – Vitamin C stimulates the production and function of white blood cells (leukocytes), especially neutrophils, lymphocytes and phagocytes, which are responsible for protecting the body from pathogens. Research has found that consuming vitamin C regularly may reduce the duration and severity of ills and chills.
- Antioxidant – Vitamin C is considered to be one of the most important water‐soluble antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants fight free radicals generated through normal metabolism, by active immune cells and by exposure to chemicals and pollutants. In addition to being an important antioxidant, vitamin C supports the function of other antioxidants including vitamin E and glutathione.
- Modulates histamine – Vitamin C helps modulate the histamine response to allergens, supporting the body’s response to them.
- Bone health – Vitamin C helps in the development and maintenance of bones.
- Brain and nerve function – Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of several important brain chemicals.
- Iron absorption – Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron, a mineral that’s necessary for the formation of haemoglobin, which transports oxygen to the body’s tissues.
- Uric Acid – Vitamin C supports healthy uric acid levels.
Find out which Nature’s Own product is right for you with our range of Immune Support products.